New information regarding the massacre at Nimbo in Uzo- Uwani Local Government in Enugu that left many dead, missing and uncountable property losses from rampaging nomadic mercenaries show that the attack was openly planned and coordinated under the knowledge of the police and army who failed to protect over 7 villages attacked.
The crisis had started with reports of Fulani herdsmen in the area leaving with their cattle earlier in the weekend as the armed mercenaries had been chartered to come in from Nasarawa state and commit the atrocity.
Reports have it that as many as 500 armed terrorists with AK47s, shotguns and other weapons arrived in buses Monday morning the decimate the communities.
According to sources, “Chairman of Uzo-Uwani Local Government Area, Cornell Onwubuya, had alerted Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and the state Commissioner of Police, Ekechukwu Nwodibo, of the threat.
“Onwubuya was said to have further alerted other stakeholders who met leaders of the Fulani community in Enugu State on the impending attack.
“Speaking at the emergency meeting held on Saturday, Onwubuya said the local leaders of the Fulani community also confirmed that there were attempts to bring in mercenaries to attack some communities in Uzo-Uwani, adding that the Fulani leaders in Enugu had complained that some of their people were killed within the axis of Nimbo and Abbi communities in the recent past.”
As other communities and survivors have run and sought refuge, villagers reported that they had reported to the polcie about the threat to attack the communities but the police and army were useless in abating the terror attack and protecting the communities.
“The Fulani herdsmen had earlier threatened that Igga community is among the areas they will attack.
“They have now attacked Nimbo, which is among the areas they vowed to attack. Others are Echenwo and Abbi. Already, the people of other communities are fleeing their homes over fear of the herdsmen attack,” according to reports.
Ohanaeze has condemned the incessant attacks as due to failure of governance.
many Nigerians are frustrated that the Federal government is nonchalant about the repeated nomadic Boko Haram terror campaigns around the nation with more victims reported everyday.
Nigeria’s information Minister, Lai Mohammed had said that the Federal government was addressing the matter “silently.” The statement was denounced by Radio Biafra who asked why victims looking for their loved ones were dealt with and arrested and locked up violently while the Boko Haram nomadic terrorists were silently treated and ‘promised government accommodation.’
So far 40 bodies have been counted. Village heads said they have not yet been able to search the areas and farms to know the final death toll but many more are expected and feared dead.