Adamawa State Emergency Management Agency (ADSEMA) has confirmed that Boko Haram terrorists killed seven people, including three children, and displaced about 5,000 people when they attacked Hong Local Council in Adamawa State on Friday.
Stating this yesterday in Yola, secretary to the agency, Dr. Mohammed Sulaiman, noted that the displacement affected neighbouring communities.
“The insurgents came in nine vehicles on Friday to attack Kwapre village in Dugwaba District of Hong. During the attack, 50 houses, worship centres, markets and schools were burnt. The attackers kidnapped many people.
“However, we received a report that eight of the kidnap victims escaped. The displaced are taking refuge in nearby villages,” he said.
Meanwhile, the District Head of Dugwaba, Simon Yakubu, told newsmen in Yola that the attackers invaded the village about 1p.m., shooting sporadically.
“During the attack that lasted over two hours, more than 20 persons were injured and no fewer than 20 were kidnapped by the attackers.
“Places of worship, schools, shops, food stores and the village head’s house were destroyed,” Yakubu recounted. He told newsmen that the injured were receiving treatment at Hong General Hospital, while two persons who were critically injured by gunshot had been referred to Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Yola.
According to him, many villages in Dugwaba district, including Kwapre, are few kilometres away from Sambisa forest. He recalled that Kwapre was in 2014 attacked and destroyed by the Boko Haram.
Chairman of Hong, James Pukuma, told newsmen that normalcy had returned to the area, as security operatives had been deployed to protect life and property.
He called on the residents to be vigilant and report any suspicious move to the nearest security agency for quick response. The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of Adamawa, DSP Sulaiman Nguroje, confirmed the attack.